I tested out a fabulous recipe last week from The Real Food RDS that I found on pinterest. It's super easy and totally satisfying when you get that buffalo wing craving but want to eat a healthier option.
The recipe is below. I modified the chicken portion slightly and used 1 lb. of chicken breast strips because I didn't have any chicken thighs defrosted. I also needed to use twice as much Frank's red hot because my slow cooker cooks fast and the chicken started to get a little dry, so I quickly opened the franks bottle and eye balled another 1/3 cup serving.
- ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ⅓ cup hot pepper sauce (such as Whole30 compliant Frank's Red Hot or Sriracha-not Whole30 compliant)
- 2 Tbsp. ghee (may sub coconut oil OR butter (not whole30 compliant) ) I used kerrygold grass fed butter
- 1 Tbsp. coconut aminos
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. cayenne (optional - adds more heat)
- 4 small baked sweet potatoes (about 7 oz. each uncooked) I used 2 10 ounce sweet potatoes for my husband and I
- Homemade ranch dressing (optional) I used trader joe's organic ranch dressing
- Place chicken in a slow cooker set on low.
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, combine the hot sauce, ghee, coconut aminos, garlic powder and optional cayenne. Stir together and heat until ghee is melted.
- Pour sauce into slow cooker.
- Cook for 4-6 hour on low or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks. Return shredded chicken to slow cooker and toss with sauce.
- Turn slow cooker to warm (or remain on low) until ready to serve.
- Serve chicken in baked sweet potatoes and drizzle with ranch if desire.
My finished product!
What's your favorite buffalo recipe lightened up?